How to apply
Before you begin
At Hitotsubashi ICS, we consider the mix of participants in each cohort carefully to reflect the diversity of today’s global business environment, and range of expertise offered by different industry backgrounds and nationalities. We keep our cohorts comparably small to accommodate this diversity of knowledge and experience, while meeting our objective of fostering supportive relationships through learning.
To qualify for consideration, you must have completed
- At least 16 years of education. For specifics, see “Applicant Qualifications” in the Hitotsubashi ICS EMBA Application Package (Additional placement)
- A bachelor’s degree with sound academic record
- Full-time post-graduate work experience of 10-15 years or longer (as of September 1 of the year in which you apply)
- Strong command of English
Hitotsubashi ICS EMBA candidates
- Are currently a middle-manager or higher, managing at least 5 direct reports
- Expect to hold a director- or executive-level position (“senior management”) within 10 years
- Formulate and execute business plans at the departmental or sub-departmental level
- Are involved in goal setting and departmental or sub-departmental level decision-making
- Understand and can assess various types of financial and business reports with high financial fluency
The application process
Our admissions process entails both an application and an interview. We encourage you to submit your online application as early as possible during the application period.
* This schedule is for additional placement of enrollment in September 2018. Normal schedule is below. Application period: from late November to early January Final decision: March
|STEP 1||Application Period||April 5 to 18, 2018|
Hitotsubashi ICS Online Application System
We do not review applications received via post or email.
|STEP 2||First Screening of Applicants||April 24, 2018|
Screening is based on the application submitted. Shortlisted applicants are informed of the first screening decision and invited to attend a Case Interview.
|STEP 3||Second Screening and Case Interview||May 7, 2018|
By invitation only
Held entirely in English, the interview employs standard interview and case interveiw. Participants are provided with a short business case to discuss with the interviewing panel.
Shortlisted applicants will receive a copy of the case one week in advance of their interviews.
Applicants in Japan: At Hitotsubashi ICS, Chiyoda, Tokyo Applicants outside Japan: By phone or videoconference
|STEP 4||Admission Decision||May 17, 2018|
Successful applicants are informed within two weeks after the Case Interview, by email and/or post.
|STEP 5||Enrollment Period||May 21 to June 1, 2018|
Admitted applicants must pay the matriculation fee by the designated date to officially enroll in the program.
COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
- Consult the ICS EMBA Application Package 2018-19 (Additional placement) for more detailed information.
- Submit all application documents in English. If your original documents or certificates are written in other languages, please attach an English translation.
- We will consider only complete applications. If your applications is incomplete upon the application deadline, it will not be considered.
|Application Form A||Your personal details|
|Degree certificates and official transcripts||Submit for all, including any earned master’s and doctoral degrees. Must be issued by the registrar of the university or college|
|Answer Form B||Essays|
|Form C||Certificate of health issued by a hospital or medical doctor within three months before the application date.|
|Form D (1)
Company-sponsored applicants only
|A sponsoring letter from a senior executive of the organization for which the applicant is working on a full-time basis. Our admissions office will send the recommendation form to the senior executive directly after your online registration is complete.|
|Form D (2)
Self-sponsored applicants only
|A reference letter from a senior executive of the organization for which the applicant is working on a full-time basis. Our admissions office will send the recommendation form to the senior executive directly after your online registration is complete.|
|Proof of paid application fee||A non-refundable application fee of JPY 30,000 is due during the application period, via credit card (instructions) or bank transfer. We strongly recommend paying by credit card, but if a bank transfer is necessary, please see below.|
|Non-Japanese applicants: Copy of passport||A photocopy of the details page(s) of your passport, indicating applicant’s name, photo, passport number, date of birth, and dates of issuance/expiry.|
Official TOEIC, TOEFL, or IELTS score report
|Please submit the “Test Taker Copy”|
To pay your application fee by bank transfer
- Transfer the application fee under the APPLICANT name, and no other name.
- For further information on payment instructions, including details of additional expenses for bank transfers, please refer to the ICS EMBA Application Package 2018-2019 (Additional placement).
|Bank and branch||Sumitomo-Mitsui Bank, Kunitachi Branch|
|Branch address||1-8-45 Naka, Kunitachi-shi, Tokyo 186-0004 Japan|
|Account holder||Hitotsubashi University|
|Account holder address||2-1 Naka, Kunitachi-shi, Tokyo 186-8601 Japan|
|Account holder phone||+81[Japan's country code]-42-580-8078|