How to apply
Before you begin
To qualify for consideration, you must have completed
- At least 16 years of education. For specifics, see “Application Qualifications” in the Hitotsubashi ICS MBA Application Package
- A bachelor’s degree with sound academic record
- Full-time post-graduate work experience of 3 years or longer (may include the time period up to MBA program entrance in September)
Key admissions criteria include:
- An employment history, essays and personal references that reflect clear purpose, high motivation, and well-developed interpersonal skills
- General aptitude for business studies demonstrated by the GMAT score (600 or above expected)
- Strong command of English shown by the TOEFL or IELTS score (TOEFL iBT 100 or IELTS academic 7.0 or above expected)
There are two rounds of applications for each entering class. Hitotsubashi ICS strongly encourages you to apply in the first round, as space may be limited in the second. Applying in the first round will offer an advantage in seeking scholarships, particularly for international students. Application deadlines and interview dates differ slightly with the calendar, but general guidelines are:
|Round 1||Applications received: Late November to early January|
Interviews held: Early February
Admissions decided: Mid-February
|Round 2||Applications received: Late January to early March|
Interviews held: Late March
Admissions decided: Mid-April
- Apply only to either the One-year or the Two-year program. Once accepted to one program, you may not switch to the other.
- All application documents must be submitted via the Hitotsubashi ICS MBA Online Application System. Submit your application as early as possible in each round.
- Hitotsubashi ICS program scholarships are awarded to international candidates only after a candidate has been admitted. Since scholarships are limited in number, first-round candidates tend to have an advantage in this regard. See Financing your MBA for information on scholarship programs. Be aware that scholarship program requirements may cause application deadlines, etc. to differ from the standard application process and requirements described below.
APPLICATION PROCESS for each application round
|STEP 1||Application||Online only, with payment of application fee of JPY 30,000 during application period.|
Hitotsubashi ICS Online Application System
We will not review applications received via post or email.
|STEP 2||Interview||If selected in the round’s initial screening|
Applicants in Japan: At Hitotsubashi ICS, Chiyoda, Tokyo
Applicants outside Japan: By phone or videoconference
|STEP 3||Decision||2-3 weeks after interviews|
By email and post
|STEP 4||Enrolment||Pay your matriculation fee to be officially enrolled|
COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
- See the ICS FTMBA Application Package 2018-19 for more detailed information.
- Submit all application documents in English. If your original documents or certificates are written in other languages, please attach a certified English translation.
- We will consider only complete applications. If your applications is incomplete upon the application deadline, it will not be considered.
- If you plan to apply for a Young Leaders’ Program scholarship: Please note that the application details (application deadline, etc.) differ from the standard application process and requirements here.
|Application Form A||Your personal details|
|Degree certificates and official transcript||Submit for all, including any earned master’s and doctoral degrees. Must be issued by the registrar of the university or college|
|Application Form B||Essays|
|Official GMAT score report||Above 600 expected; scores must be no more than 5 years old. We do not accept GRE scores.|
|Official TOEFL or IELTS score report||No more than 2 years old. If English is the applicant’s native language, or if the applicant earned a Bachelor’s or higher degree from a program conducted entirely in English, s/he is not required to submit a TOEFL/IELTS score.
Submit Test Taker’s copy via the online application system, AND have TOEFL/IELTS send official scores directly to:
TOEFL: University Code No.: 8682
IELTS: Department: ICS Admissions Office
University: Hitotsubashi University
Address: National Center of Sciences, 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8439, Japan
|Application Form C||Certificate of health issued by a hospital or medical doctor within three months prior to the application date.|
|Proof of paid application fee||A non-refundable application fee of JPY 30,000 is due during the application period, via credit card (instructions) or bank transfer. We strongly recommend paying by credit card, but if a bank transfer is necessary, please see below.|
|Application Form D||Two Letters of Reference. At least one, and preferably both, letters should come from supervisors within your current company. Our admissions office will send forms to recommenders immediately after your online registration is complete.|
|Copy of passport||A photocopy of the details page(s) of your passport, indicating applicant’s name, photo, passport number, date of birth, and dates of issuance/expiry.|
|For company-sponsored applicants||An official letter from your employer stating that the employer will sponsor you. (In Japanese, Haken Shodakusho)|
To pay your application fee by bank transfer
|Application fee:||JPY 30,000|
- Transfer the application fee under the APPLICANT name, and no other name.
- BEFORE the applicant name, indicate “R1” for Round 1 and “R2” for Round 2.
- See also ICS FTMBA Application Package 2018-19, page 11 “Payment by bank transfer.”
|Bank and branch||Sumitomo-Mitsui Bank, Kunitachi Branch|
|Branch address||1-8-45 Naka, Kunitachi-shi, Tokyo 186-0004 Japan|
|Account holder||Hitotsubashi University|
|Account holder address||2-1 Naka, Kunitachi-shi, Tokyo 186-8601 Japan|
|Account holder phone||+81[Japan's country code]-42-580-8078|