How to apply
Before you begin
To qualify for consideration, you must have completed
- At least 16 years of education. For specifics, see “Admission Requirements” in the Hitotsubashi ICS MBA Application Package
- A bachelor’s degree that evidences a sound academic record
- Full-time post-graduate work experience of 3 years or longer (may include the time period up to MBA program entrance in September)
Key admissions criteria include:
- An employment history, essays and personal references that reflect clear purpose, high motivation, and well-developed interpersonal skills
- General aptitude for business studies, as demonstrated by the GMAT or GRE score
- Strong command of English
There are two application rounds for the Entering Class of 2021. Please note the following:
- Applicants may apply for either the One-Year program (excluding YLP) or the Two-Year program. Once accepted to one program, it is not possible to switch to the other program.
- Applicants are encouraged to submit applications as early as possible.
- Scholarship decisions for candidates are made only after a candidate has been admitted. Since scholarships are limited in number, applying in the first round confers an advantage with respect to scholarships.
|Round 1||Application period: August 3, 2020 - October 14, 2020|
Interview: November 19, 2020
Announcement of final result: December 3, 2020
|Round 2||Application period: December 4, 2020 - February 17, 2021|
Interview: March 25, 2021
Announcement of final result: April 8, 2021
Applications must be submitted via the Hitotsubashi ICS Online Application System.
An application is considered officially received only when the applicant has pressed the system’s "submit" button by 14:59 JST on the last day of the application period for either Round 1 or Round 2.
APPLICATION PROCESS for each application round
|STEP 1||Application||Online only, with payment of the application fee of JPY 30,000 during application period.|
We will not review applications received via post or email.
|STEP 2||Interview||If selected in the round’s initial screening|
By phone or videoconference
|STEP 3||Decision||2-3 weeks after interviews|
By email and post
|STEP 4||Enrolment||Payment of the matriculation fee is required for enrollment to become official.|
COMPLETING YOUR APPLICATION
- See the Hitotsubashi ICS MBA Application Package 2021-2022 for more detailed information.
- Submit all application documents in English. If your original documents or certificates are written in other languages, please attach a certified English translation.
- We will consider only complete applications. If your application is incomplete upon the application deadline, it will not be considered.
- If you plan to apply for a Young Leaders' Program scholarship, please note that the application details (application period, etc.) differ from those for the standard application process and requirements detailed here.
|Application Form A||Your personal details|
|Degree certificates and official transcript||Submit a certificate AND transcript for all earned degrees, including any earned master’s and doctoral degrees. Certificates and transcripts must be issued by the registrar of the university or college.|
|Application Form B||Essays|
|Official GMAT or GRE score report||Scores must be no more than 5 years old.
Will accept the online versions of GMAT & GRE exams, cognizant that the writing assessment will not be available.
|Official TOEFL or IELTS score report||Optional
TOEFL: University Code No.: 8682
IELTS: Department: ICS Admissions Office
University: Hitotsubashi University
Address: National Center of Sciences, 2-1-2 Hitotsubashi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo 101-8439, Japan
|Proof of paid application fee||A non-refundable application fee of JPY 30,000 is payable during the application period, via credit card or bank transfer. We strongly recommend payment via credit card; however, if a bank transfer is necessary, please contact email@example.com.|
|Application Form C||Two Letters of Reference. At least one, and preferably both, letters should come from supervisors within your current or previous company. The Online Application System will send emails to recommenders immediately after your online registration has been completed.|
|Copy of passport||A photocopy of the details page(s) of your passport, including your name, photo, passport number, date of birth and dates of issuance/expiry.|
|For company-sponsored applicants||An official letter from your employer stating that the employer will sponsor you. (In Japanese, Haken shodakusho)|
Applicants who have disabilities or special needs that require accommodating in the application process and/or once they start their program at Hitotsubashi ICS should notify the Hitotsubashi ICS Admissions Office by email to firstname.lastname@example.org
two months prior to the starting date of an application period. (If you do not know the application period, please contact us as well. Although the Hitotsubashi ICS Admissions Office will accept such notifications after this date, it may not be able to make arrangements necessary to accommodate disabilities/special needs in time for the screening and/or the program starting date.) Requesting such type of accommodation in the application process does not obligate you to apply to Hitotsubashi ICS. Even if you are undecided about whether or not to apply to Hitotsubashi ICS, you may still make such requests.
NB: Depending on the nature of the accommodation requested, it may take some time for the Hitotsubashi ICS Admissions Office to respond.